The Board of Directors for FCCU are volunteers, elected by the members, who are responsible for guiding and overseeing the direction of the credit union, and for ensuring that the long-term interests of our members are served.
Knowledge and Expertise
FCCU’s Board works in partnership with our CEO and management team to effectively govern our credit union. To support an effective governing board, we actively seek Board members who exhibit the following types of attributes, knowledge, and experience.
Types of Personal/Professional Attributes
- Good understanding of financial/business matters
- Effective at asking relevant/perceptive questions
- Forward-looking strategic thinker
- Willingness to hold self and others accountable
- Technologically aware/adept
- Genuine, authentic, honest with others
- Active team player
Types of Board Member Knowledge/Experience
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Cooperative Business Models
- Economic Development
- Marketing/Public Relations
- Real Estate
- Executive Compensation
- Small Business
- Executive Management
- Strategic Planning
Board Member Duties and Responsibilities
Each member of the Fort Community Credit Union (FCCU) Board of Directors is elected by the membership to serve a three-year term; or, a remaining term of a previous director. The Board sets the general direction of the credit union and oversees Management in the operations of FCCU. The Board shall be responsible for the general oversight and final decision-making authority over the affairs, funds and records of FCCU in accordance with applicable law, the Articles and the Bylaws.
1. Make strategic decisions regarding the course of action for FCCU by establishing goals, objectives, formulating policies and approving services.
2. Review of policies
3. Hire, monitor and evaluate FCCU President.
4. Participate in committees as appointed by the Board Chair.
5. Ensure FCCU meets all federal and state regulations and guidelines.
6. Maintain, review and update FCCU Bylaws.
7. Maintain the confidentiality of all FCCU business and information received.
8. Attend and actively participate in monthly Board Meetings and the Annual Strategic Planning Session.
9. They must administer the affairs of the credit union fairly and impartially and without discrimination in favor of or against any particular member.
1. A Board member must carry out the duties in good faith, in a manner reasonably believed to be in the best interests of the membership, and with such care, including reasonable inquiry, as an ordinarily prudent person in a like position would use under similar circumstances.
2. Thoroughly review Board information prior to each Board Meeting
3. Be aware of state and federal political issues regarding the credit union movement.
4. Disclose possible conflicts of interest and refrain from voting on issues related to the conflict.
Board Members Qualifications
1. Must be a member in good standing with FCCU.
2. Must be at least 18 years of age.
3. Must be a member of FCCU for three (3) months.
4. Must be bondable by FCCU’s Fidelity Bond Company.
5. Must authorize a Criminal Background Check and Credit Check.
A Board member must have a certain base level of financial skills, consistent with the size and complexity of the credit union operation they serve. At a minimum, they must have the ability to read and understand the credit unions balance sheet and income statement. If they do not have these skills when elected or appointed, they must obtain these skills in a timely manner (within 6 mos.). FCCU will make available the appropriate training to enhance the financial knowledge of the Board member.
1. Monthly Board Meeting
2. Annual Meeting of the membership: generally held in May.
3. Annual Planning Session: an afternoon-evening session normally held a weekday in September or October.
4. Other assigned committee meetings: meetings vary depending on the specific committee.
5. Exit reviews by examiners are not required, but attendance is highly recommended.
FCCU carries Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Insurance. This policy protects FCCU’s directors, volunteers and employees from liability arising out of their duties performed for the Credit Union.
I understand that all loans I receive from Credit Union must be approved by the Board.
I have read and understand the Board Member Duties and Responsibilities. I agree to be bound to all requirements applicable to my duties as a board member.
2019 Board of Directors Election
Call for Nominations
Serving on the FCCU Board of Directors is a rewarding experience which allows you to provide strategic direction for continued success of the credit union and its members. There will be two (2) seats up for election in 2019. Current board members are permitted to stand for re-election.
If you are interested in serving on the FCCU Board of Directors, please complete the Board Member Application HERE, and return the application and your candidate statement by December 1st to:
Fort Community Credit Union
c/o Nominating Committee
PO Box 160
Fort Atkinson, WI 53538
email to email@example.com